|Cornmeal Crusted Catfish Po’ Boy
30 minutes | 15 min prep | SERVES 2-4
Ingredients* 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1/4 cup flour
* 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
* vegetable oil for frying
* 5 catfish fillets about 5-7 oz
* 2 loaves French bread, 7-8 inches long, halved lengthwise, buttered, and lightly toasted
1. To make the seasoned fry cornmeal: mix together the cornmeal, flour and spices (makes enough for about five 5-7 oz. catfish fillets).
2. In a deep frying pan or pot, preheat enough vegetable oil to 350°.to completely cover the catfish fillets.
3.Dredge the catfish fillet in the seasoned cornmeal; fry fillets in oil for approximately 8 minutes (the catfish will rise when finished).
4. Remove fillet from oil and place on a brown paper bag to drain. Sprinkle with cajun seasoning.
5. Spread the top slice of toasted french bread with mayo and creole mustard.
6. Add a layer of hamburger dill pickle slices, tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
7. Put the catfish fillet on the bottom slice; sandwich the two halves together; cut on the diagonal and serve.
8. Additional suggestions include cheese, bacon, tomato, coleslaw, jalapenos, tartar sauce, and Louisiana hot sauce.